Mexican for the WIN- Eggs in a clay pot!

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Mexican for the WIN-Eggs in a clay pot!

Picture
Lately I have been craving café-style breakfast...maybe it’s the oatmeal or warm granola with almond milk that I have   e v e r y m o r n i n g that I am seeking a change in the routine. Since weekday mornings are way too rushed to sit down and enjoy breakfast, I have decided to target at least one weekend [or a few weekends at least!] to have a nice breakfast/brunch. So lucky you because I will try to post anything new I try on here for you to try out at home! This Sunday I decided to make some baked omelets in Italian clay pots!



So a sad/funny story…I decided to make two different type of eggs this morning. One for my husband and one for myself. I know my hubby loves Mexican inspired food, but YET I decided to make him a basil tomato with potatoes omelet [whaaaa?] and snagged the Mexican inspired omelet for myself *shrugs*. Turns out…the Mexican omelet was the winner and the other one did not work out at all! Omg. LOL. Maybe it looks ok in the pic above but...no....! I used red skin potatoes and did not sauté them first because I was getting lazy…which caused them to stay undercooked. The addition of olives was a fail as well [yuck!]. We ended up sharing the Mexican pot and picked at the other one. Owell. You live [I mean] cook and learn!

Defiantly give the Mexican Inspired omelets in a clay pot [or baking dish] a try!

Enjoy!
Picture
Picture

Mexican Inspired Baked Eggs

-Clay pot or I’m sure any oven safe dish will work too :)

-Two medium sized eggs

-Olive oil

-half of a small red onion chopped

-Cooking spray

-1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin

-1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

-1/4 teaspoon of black pepper & salt to taste [always go light on the salt…I can’t remember how much I put but it was very little]

-1/4 of a green jalapeno pepper copped without seeds [this sucker can get spicy so watch out]

-1/4 cup of canned black beans

-1/2 of a medium sized tomato chopped

-1/4 cup of fresh corn from the cob [I’m sure canned would work but I LOVE the sweet/fresh taste of FRESH CORN ON THE COB]

-Orange and red sweet peppers chopped [or I’m sure green bell peppers would work too]

-Chunky Salsa [Chunky preferred but its up to you]—mild,medium, or hot

-Cheese…I used dairy free cheese

-Crushed red peppers for garnish

-Hot sauce for the side (optional)

-Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)

-Sliced avocados (optional)

Preheat oven on 350 degrees. In a pan, sauté the chopped onions in olive oil and add the ground cumin, garlic powder. Don’t let the onions get too cooked because you will put everything in the oven at the end anyway. After a few minutes, add the chopped jalapenos, black beans, corn, sweet/bell peppers, and tomatoes. Let it all simmer/sauté for a few more minutes and then add some salt and black pepper. Spray some cooking spray to your clay pot [or any oven safe dish will work]. Pour your sautéed mixture in. Crack two eggs into the middle. Sprinkle some black pepper and salt on top of eggs. Sprinkle some cheese on top and top it with some sliced avocados. Pop it in the middle rack of the oven until you see the egg white turn WHITE [duh!]. I kept it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes because I don’t like runny egg yolk too much…but its up to you! My husband feels that it would have been better if I didn't leave it in the oven for too long because the egg yolk needed to be a little runny at least! If it looks too undercooked then put it back in for a few more minutes. Take it out, garnish it with some chopped cilantro & crushed red peppers and enjoy with some mild, medium, or hot chunky SALSA and/or hot sauce on the side. YUM! 







No comments:

Post a Comment