2015 Beauty Favorites!

Monday, February 22, 2016

Hi beauties! As we leave 2015 behind us and embark on a new journey of adventures in 2016, Nilma & I wanted to share our top beauty products, makeup and skincare alike. Finding products that really work and are worth the investment can be frustrating, especially in a vast market with so many new products to try. Personally, as someone who previously struggled a lot with acne, I am picky about what I will put onto my skin; whether that is makeup or my daily skincare routine, because I worked hard to get the skin I have now and it took me years to get here. Now, my skin isn't perfect, I still get the occasional breakout and have acne scars (the worst) but nonetheless I hope this is helpful for you all when you're deciding what products you have heard about-- but aren't sure if they're worth it.

-rasmin & nilma

Rasmin's skin type: I have dry combination skin. In the winter, my skin gets so dry 
(which sucks because dry skin = faster aging) yet during the summer I will get slightly oily around my forehead and cheekbones. Also- what you eat will have a huge impact on your skin and where you will break out! Personally, when I don't drink enough water and eat horribly / late at night :(
examples of what NOT to eatExcess sugar (candy, ice cream, chocolate)
 Caffeine (coca-cola, coffee)
Greasy foods (french fries, pizza- the good stuff lol) 
Junk food (hot cheetos, nachos)

*When I feed my body all that good bad stuff, my chin, my cheeks, nose- they retaliate. So if you are struggling with acne constantly or even every now & then- avoiding these "trigger"foods will help tremendously!


Nilma's skin type: I have mildly oily combo skin. Many times I have to use "oil free" products on my face...otherwise I'll have clogged pores. By the end of the day the areas that get the most oily for me is my forehead & side of my nose. And as Rasmin stated above, what I also eat play a HUGE role on how my skin looks weekly. Dairy for me causes dullness + breakouts (do I still eat it sometimes? Of course lol). I struggle a lot with hormonal imbalances which effect my menstrual cycle as well as my skin & hair...so for me, it is very important to eat whole/real foods. I drink about 2.2 liters of water per day and I don't drink coffee or soda..never have so I guess the habit or cravings never set in.


examples of what to eat:
Protein (fish, chicken, lean meat)
Unprocessed/Whole foods: (Spinach, Arugula, Kale, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, olives... etc.)
Lots of water throughout the day (This bottle HERE keeps my water intake on track daily)
Fruits (berries, bananas, oranges--my favortie are the little Halos lol)
Complex (aka "good") Crabs (Brown rice, Quinoa, Sweet Potato, Beans, Ezekiel Wholegrain Bread, Barilla Protein Plus pasta)

*I also try to avoid eating deep fried foods, which often cause cystic type of acne on my face. Stove top, pan frying, or baking are the methods I often cook my meals.



Rasmin's Favorites:
Skincare
CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion (here)
   - Oil-free, dermatologist recommended, super moisturizing for all skin types. I've used this since high school and 

Panoxyl Foaming Acne Face Wash (here)
  - Used to require a prescription & is now over-the-counter; has 10% benzyl peroxide for fighting acne however it will dry your skin since it is strong so moisturize with the CeraVe! I only use it when my acne is terrible and needs an extra dose of medicine.

Bioré Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser (here)
            - Love. This. It smells good & lathers perfectly. Contains 2% salicylic acid to fight acne but I  wouldn't use just this to combat acne. I use this morning/night. If I have makeup on, I use this the first time to remove my makeup and another 1/2 pump to cleanse my face. It's never  irritated my skin either.

Mario Bidescu Drying Lotion (here)
             -Holy Grail this has changed my life- the top contains salicylic acid and the bottom pink is camomile lotion. Do not shake. Take a Q-Tip and dip it straight into the jar and dot wherever there is acne (even if you "feel" a bump coming) and leave it on overnight. Within 1-3 days depending on the size, it will be gone. 

Olay Regenerating Serum (here)
             -I stole this from my mom and my skin is so so soft after using this, the pores near my nose have minimized significantly. I use a dime size before bed, after my moisturizing lotion. I also have started using it as a "primer" before my makeup because it makes my skin soft and haven't noticed my makeup looking differently/oily. Oh & it has a good "clean" scent!        



Glam: Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit (here)
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in "Sand, 20" (here)
Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in Stromboli (here)
MAC "Soft and Gentle" Highlight (here)
MAC "Give Me Sun" Bronzer (here)
MAC Prep + Prime Fix+ (here)



Nilma's Favorites:

SkincareL'Oreal Paris Go 360 Clean Anti-Breakout Face Wash (here)

-This face wash has been my go-to wash for so many years now! I don't use the scrublet that is comes with. It is so light on your skin but yet cleans your face so well. The anti-breakout one DOES have silicic acid in it to prevent breakouts. 
             
 Clarisonic Mia 2 Skin Care Brush using sensitive skin brush knob (here)
-My holy grail. I have used this brush for a few years now. We've had a love/hate relationship in the past but now it's nothing but love once I realized how much my skin loved it. I only use it on days I wear makeup. It deep cleans my face to prevent any pores from being clogged. I use the sensitive skin brush with it. 

Boscia Make-up Break-up cleansing oil for removal of eye makeup (here)
-I don't like to use makeup removing wipes for some reason (unless I'm traveling). This amazing stuff removed my mascara and eyeliner in a zap! 

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer (here)
-I used to not use SPF on my face until recently (I know..I know...that's bad). My skin will get clogged so quickly with SPF lotions so that is why I never used it...until I found this little gem that has SPF AND is OIL FREE! Perfect for my skin type!



             
Glam: Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in "Honey" (here)
  Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation in "5.5" (here)
Ben Nye MediaPro Compact Powder in "Banana" (here)
Too faced Endless Summer 16-hour long Bronzer (here)

No comments:

Post a Comment