Peri Peri Chicken

Saturday, July 11, 2015


It has been one heck of a week (or really, 2-3 weeks) this past month. The holy month of Ramadan started, so I was trying to re-adjust to my new Ramadan routine and then my husband and I were scheduled to move, and the date fell on in the middle of Ramadan...wooh! Moving is overwhelming and stressful as is but add a full time work schedule + long full days of fasting, it can defiantly take a toll on your mind and body. It sure did for me. I have been extremely stressed out and sleep deprived the past few weeks and yesterday may have been my breaking point. Of course, "ain't nobody got time for that" (lol) so I had to pull myself together and I decided to make a to-do list to knock out a few things on my day off. After checking a few things off my list, I decided to get a head start on my iftaar meals for the final week of Ramadan (and also learned that cooking is actually very therapeutic for me!! Lol..I was on a roll!)---One dish that I made was the Peri Peri Chicken Kabobs! 

What is Peri Peri? Originated from the peppers of South Africa and later imported to Portugal---the word "peri peri" is referred to as "hot or spicy" sauce in Portugal. This "sauce" is popular in many foreign countries. Many people compare it the American BBQ sauce (obviously a way different taste though!)---A popular worldwide restaurant Nando's (my first time seen: Karachi, Pakistan few summers back) serves the popular dish Peri Peri Chicken. I don't think Nando's is in the US yet (I could be wrong though?)---but now you can give Peri Peri Chicken a try...with a little twist! Give my recipe below a try and let me know how it turns out for you---or if you add/remove anything in the recipe!

What Ya Need:
-About 2 lbs of boneless chicken breasts (cut into kabob sized cubes)
-Wooden Skewers (soak them in water for about 30 minutes to prevent them from burning when in the oven)
-Oven safe cooling rack + Baking trey (large enough to set cooling rack on top) 

Sauce: (Will be used as your marinate AND dipping/topping sauce after your chicken is cooked too!)
-3 red chili peppers (I wanted to use Birds-eye red chillis but I couldn't find those so I used Indian Red Chilli peppers---3---but I probably could have used more to add a little bit of kick to the chicken!)
-1 Red Bell Pepper 
-1/2-1 teaspoon of red chilli powder 
-2 tablespoon of Paprika 
-1/2-1 teaspoon of black pepper 
-1 teaspoon of salt 
-1 tablespoon of Oregano 
-2 and 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic 
-3 to 4 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice (one whole large lemon can work)
-4 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (VINEGAR NOT VINAIGRETTE)  
-1/4 teaspoon of red food coloring (I used liquid)
-1/2 cup of olive oil (honestly, if I made this again, I could lessen the 1/2 cup of oil to maybe 1/4. 1/2 seemed a tiny bit too much in my opinion. 

1) In a small chopper/food processor, blend/mix all sauce ingredients. 
2) Pour sauce in the chicken and mix it (don't pour ALL the sauce!...eyeball it and save some to use for your dipping and to pour some extra sauce on top once the chicken is cooked---(In my opinion, this is a must as it really gives the chicken kabobs flavor once they are cooked!)

3) Marinate in refrigerator for about 1-2 hours (if time, more or overnight)
4) Boil/cook off the leftover peri peri sauce that you made earlier on medium high to make thicker. (You will use this as your dipping sauce or pour some on top of your cooked kabobs later)
5) Turn on oven to Broil 
6) Thread chicken kabobs on skewers 
7) Place cooling rack on top of large baking trey and lightly spray rack with coconut spray oil 
8) Place threaded chicken kabob skewers on rack
9) Place trey in the oven about 3-4 inches from top (make sure broil is on) and set timer for 4 minutes. Flip skewers and put back in oven and place timer again for another 5 minutes. 
10) Take cooked kabob trey out of the oven and pour some of that leftover sauce all over the kabobs (or use as dipping for individual serving)
11) I added a pineapple too so when I was cooking the kabobs, I placed two slices (or pieces) of  pineapples on the baking rack and broiled with the chicken---don't worry, it won't burn!

Enjoy! 







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing If you're looking for Fast casual food pickup points in Long Island City then Peri-Peri GUYS LIC is the best option. Peri-Peri is known for its spicy flavor as well as its use of fresh and best-quality ingredients. Contact us now to book your order and enjoy good food.

    ReplyDelete