Baked Apple Pastry *Dairy-Free+Grain-Free* [perfect for a Holiday Dessert add-on]

Saturday, December 13, 2014


An apple a day...keeps the doctor away, right? Well...being married to one defiantly doesn't do that in my life ha! But truth be told about me + apples = I actually feel sick after eating [raw] apples...so I rarely ever eat an apple on any day! So screw you doctors!

Other fruits I can munch on or eat daily with my lunch or breakfast [like berries...mmmm]...but apples...oh you apples, I just can't! Why? Because after eating say...a whole apple, I will suddenly feel like gagging! LOL. Sometimes, I actually do GAG. It's insane. I really do want to love apples though because I know how great they are for my body. Apples contain both Vitamins A & C as well as COPPER, which by the way is an essential element to healthy skin! Who doesn't want that, right?


So as life has its adventures, a few weeks back, my husband & I stumbled upon picking our own apples and bringing home a bag full of good ol' apples from an apple orchard. [let me just tell you about the dreaded look on my husband's face when I told him lets just go ahead and check out the orchards before the corn maze while we waited on our friends. BUT he knows how quirky little things like this make me happy so he TOTALLY went with the flow haha]. So to make a good use out of the apples we picked, I decided to use them in a verity of ways, so I can actually eat them this time without gagging. I made the following (which I will post recipe to each soon):
- Grain-Free Apple Pastry (Recipe below)
-Almond Flour Apple Pancakes
-Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins- Dairy Free + Flour Free (Recipe HERE)
-Fresh Green Juice


*Grain-Free Apple Pastry*

What ya will need:
(For the Apple Filling)
- 3-4 apples [peel em', deseed/core em', chop into tiny pieces]
- 3 tablespoon of Coconut SUGAR [I used this kind but you can get any type...organic or not!...this one was on sale at my local grocery store one day so I grabbed it]
-1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon powder [I used McCormick, but you can you whichever kind you like]
-1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg powder [I used McCormick, but you can you whichever kind you like]
-Big pinch of salt 
-2 tablespoon of water 

(For the Dough)
-1/2 cup of Almond Flour [I used Bob's Red Mill]
-1/2 cup of Tapioca Flour/Stratch [I used some that I got off of Amazon Here but tell me why...I was at a Asian grocery store a few days ago and saw them selling these for only $1.00...slightly smaller in size but a buck!?!]
-1/2 teaspoon of salt 
-1 cup of canned unsweetened coconut milk [not the lite version; just regular. I used this one from Target but ANY work...I literally have 3 different brands of coconut milk in my pantry right now lol]
-1 egg made into an egg wash [add some water to your egg and mix mix mix with your fork]



What ya will need TO DO:


Step 1: [PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 350 F] Ok...Go ahead and make the Apple Filling by combining all of the ingredients for the filling in a pot over medium heat for about 10-15 mins or so. Once it looks good to you [should be thick and apples should be a little soft]. Turn off heat and let sit to the side while you prepare and make your crust.

Step 2: Go ahead and make the dough by combining all of the Dough Fillings (almond flour, tapioca flour, salt, & coconut milk) in a large mixing bowl. The result will be a pancake like batter.

Step 3: Put a medium sized frying pan on medium heat

Step 4: Scoop in about 1/2 cup of batter and slowly from the middle of the pan, drop in the batter. Shake the pan a little if you want the batter to spread out more, but it doesn't matter.



Step 5: Let each side cook for about 3 mins (30 secs to a min more if needed). You will have about 4-5 flatbread looking pastry sheets depending how big/small you make it.

Step 6: Using a scissor, cut off the edges of your sheets to form a square.


Step 7: Spoon in about a tablespoon of the Apple Filling into the flatbread sheet, close it up using fork.



Step 8: Using a brush, rub some egg wash (1 egg mixed up w a few drops of water and mix again) all over the outside/top. Sprinkle each triangle with some coconut sugar.



Step 9: Spread aluminum foil onto a baking trey, place each triangle on trey, pop in the oven (preheated 350 Degrees F) for about 40-45 minutes or until you can tell they look crunch...crispy from the outside. YUM! *Do not overcook them too much as my batch the 2nd time I made these had become a bit too crunchy/hard after a while. You can always re-toast it in the toaster oven when reheating. 




*These were such a hit with my husband and MYSELF. Yum yum yum. Something my husband did when reheating these was pop it in the toaster oven for like 2 minutes or so to make it extra crunchy because once they cool, they do tend to get a little bit softer.

Hope you enjoy these guilt-free sweet cravings! Xoxx-


Husby & I with our selfie game gone wrong lol








No comments:

Post a Comment